Collocation: the other key to IELTS 7 (6 of 8)
Time to Practice
Can you ‘fix’ the following sentences by changing (or removing) the underlined word? There may be different ways to answer this. The answers will be in the next ‘collocation’ post.
- Teenagers smoke because of curiosity.
- Smoking brings fatal diseases.
- He was under a bad situation.
- When smokers swallow the smoke, they …
- Cancer is highly caused by smoking.
- This was the lowest money.
- Cigarettes include nicotine.
Answers to Collocation 5 of 8
Here are the answers to the previous collocation exercise. The first sentence has the wrong collocation; the second sentence has the correct one.
- When criminals murder someone, the victims of this disaster suffer forever.
When criminals murder someone, the victims of this tragedy suffer forever.
- Coeducation allows students to create relationships.
Coeducation allows students to form relationships.
- Lactose intolerance can make diarrhea.
Lactose intolerance can cause diarrhea.
- I hope this can answer all your problems.
I hope this can solve all your problems.
- It is a medicine to kill insects.
It is a poison/pesticide/chemical to kill insects.
- Academic courses own the highest price.
Academic courses have the highest price.
- They cannot get rid of cigarettes easily.
They cannot resist cigarettes easily.
By the way, go to aisielts.com to get more information and resources to help you get that IELTS 7.