Collocation: the other key to IELTS 7 (7 of 8)
Time to Practice
Can you ‘fix’ the following sentences by changing (or removing) the underlined word? There may be different ways to answer this. The answers will be in the next ‘collocation’ post.
- Smokers need to refuse their addiction.
- Teenagers have a greater chance to touch cigarettes.
- Higher prices will force smokers to stop this habit.
- If the government resorts to this strategy, …
- Smoking affects people’s health.
- Many teenagers smoke without consciousness of the risk.
- I wish I can get back home as soon as possible.
Answers to Collocation 6 of 8
Here are the answers to the previous collocation exercise. The first sentence has the wrong collocation; the second sentence has the correct one.
- Teenagers smoke because of curiosity.
Teenagers smoke out of curiosity.
- Smoking brings fatal diseases.
Smoking causes fatal diseases.
- He was under a bad situation.
He was in a bad situation.
You canbe under stress, too.
- When smokers swallow the smoke, they …
When smokers inhale the smoke, they …
- Cancer is highly caused by smoking.
Cancer is easily caused by smoking.
You could write, ‘Cancer is highly correlated to smoking’.
- This was the lowest money.
This was the lowest amount (of money).
- Cigarettes include nicotine.
Cigarettes contain nicotine.
By the way, go to aisielts.com to get more information and resources to help you get that IELTS 7.