Let’s do Collocation Again, Okay? (4 of 12)
Collocation is the key to getting a higher IELTS Writing and Speaking score, but it is not easy. Students often do not collocate words very well (which is why they don’t receive IELTS 7 or 8). To have ‘a sense of collocation’ (= IELTS 7), you need to have some familiarity with English. So, start reading all my pixnet posts, and getting this familiarity, right?
In the meantime, the following exercises will help.
Time to Practice
Can you ‘fix’ the following sentences by changing (or removing) the underlined word? There may be different ways to answer this. The answers will be in the next ‘collocation’ post.
- If we can find energy in space, the advantages are unimaginable.
- We spend more budget on the arms race than on space.
- Exploring space costs a vast amount of money.
- According to the surveillance video, my passport was taken.
- Guns are a risk when falling into the wrong use.
- The government needs to educate people the correct way.
- Raising the tax is the straightest way to solve this problem.
- People want to flee from the pressure in life.
Answers to Collocation 3 of 12
- Online shopping prevents people from walking to shops.
Online shopping saves people from walking to shops.
- As awareness of the threats of smoking has developed, …
As awareness of the risks of smoking has developed, …
- People cannot refuse tobacco because of its nicotine.
People cannot resist tobacco because of its nicotine.
- One reason is that the fee of travelling is much cheaper now.
One reason is that the cost/expense of travelling is much cheaper now.
- Travellers need to conquer the obstacles when they travel.
Travellers need to overcome the obstacles when they travel.
- The government should make advertisements to promote their own country.
The government should produce/design advertisements to promote their own country.
- SARS was one of the most rigorous viruses this decade.
SARS was one of the most deadly/contagious/virulent viruses this decade.
‘Rigorous’ means ‘thorough and careful’ [e.g. rigorous safety checks, rigorous inspection] or ‘strict or severe’ e.g. [rigorous enforcement of the law, rigorous application of punishment].
- AIDS has been studied for years, but there is still no solution.
AIDS has been studied for years, but there is still no cure/effective treatment.
By the way, you can learn more about me at www.aisielts.com .